Writing a business plan is one of the most important things you can do for your business. Luckily, there are many resources to help with creating a business plan:
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA):
- Delaware Prosperity Partnership : created as a private entity to lead the state of Delaware's economic development efforts, this private entity is a critical step to enhance the state's ability to attract, grow and retain companies; to build a stronger entrepreneurial and innovation ecosystem; and to support private employers in identifying, recruiting and developing talent.
- Delaware Small Business Development Center (SBDC) : A nationally-accredited nonprofit organization hosted by the University of Delaware providing business services for Delaware small businesses and entrepreneurs - including free business plan help
- Delaware Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) : Matches entrepreneurs who are seeking business advice to retired professionals in the same or similar industry – including free business counseling/business plan writing help available from volunteer professionals
- Division of Small Business : Reach out to the Delaware Division of Small Business to connect to resources in the state.
- Delaware Manufacturing Extension Partnership (DEMEP) : Provides solutions for manufacturing companies, healthcare, and service providers
- Delaware Division of Libraries : Business plan writing guides, books, and information.
- YWCA Delaware Center for Women's Entrepreneurship : Focuses on helping women and men start and grow their own business. We nurture the entrepreneurial spirit into action by offering dynamic coaching, inspiring workshops and access to essential business resources. Our qualified business consultant will help you achieve your dream... and turn your passion into a paycheck!
State Tax Information
- Overall Tax Information: Databook April 2017
- Delaware Division of Revenue: Services for the Business Tax Payer
- Delaware Division of Revenue: Gross Receipts Tax
- Delaware Division of Revenue: Withholding Taxes
- Delaware Division of Revenue: Business Tax Forms
- Delaware Division of Corporations: Franchise Taxes (how to calculate)
- Delaware Division of Corporations: Franchise Taxes (how to pay)
- Delaware Division of Corporations: Frequently Asked Tax Questions
Federal Tax Information
- Internal Revenue Service (I.R.S.): Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center
- U.S. Small Business Administration: Filing and Paying Taxes
Small Business Assistance for Federally Regulated Industries
- U.S. Small Business Administration: Federal Licenses and Permits
- U.S. Small Business Administration: Learn About Business Law and Regulations
Patents and Trademarks
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office: General Information
- State of Delaware Only (does not cover U.S.): Delaware Trademarks and Service Marks
Chambers of Commerce in Delaware
- Delaware State Chamber Of Commerce
- Delaware Small Business Chamber Of Commerce
- African-American Chamber Of Commerce in Philadelphia (covers Delaware)
- New Castle County Chamber Of Commerce
- Central Delaware Chamber Of Commerce
- Middletown Area Chamber Of Commerce
- Lewes Chamber Of Commerce
- Greater Milford Chamber Of Commerce
- Greater Georgetown Chamber Of Commerce
- Greater Seaford Chamber Of Commerce
- Bethany-Fenwick Area Chamber Of Commerce
- Greater Laurel Chamber Of Commerce
- Milton Chamber Of Commerce
- Rehoboth Beach-Dewey Beach Chamber Of Commerce
Consider Incubator Options Within Delaware
Business incubators offer office and specialty space for new businesses often at discounted rates with the help of government programs. Below is a listing of the business incubators, business accelerators, and business start-up space in the State of Delaware. This listing does not imply an endorsement of any of the programs, and businesses are encouraged to do their own research to find the best fit.
Center for Business Growth
- Location: Claymont Community Center, 3301 Green Street, Claymont, DE 19703
- Website: www.dfli.org
- Services: Mixed-use facility for startup and emerging minority and/or women-owned businesses. Center for Business Growth tenants will have access to affordable, professional office space with furniture and equipment, Internet and phone service, a reception area, mail service, meeting rooms and access to business resources. Businesses are required to attend on-site classes and workshops. Training will be scheduled in advance, and posted accordingly.
Start It Up Delaware / The Coin-Loft
- Location: 605 North Market Street, 2nd Floor, Wilmington, Delaware 19801
- Website: startitupde.org
- Services: Offers project-based workshops to 8-week classes, monthly events, desk space on a month-to-month membership basis starting at $50 per month in a newly renovated historic downtown building, with amenities like free Wi-Fi, access to conference space, and printers.
Delaware Technology Park, Inc. (DTP)
- Location: Delaware Technology Park 1 Innovation Way, Suite 300 Newark, DE 19711
- Website: deltechpark.org
- Services: Provides development-stage life science, information technology, advanced materials and renewable energy companies with access to resources and connections needed to succeed. The facility houses 5 buildings, 3 multi-tenant buildings, wet labs, office space, conference facilities and a park-wide fiber optic network. The Delaware Technology Park (DTP) is home to the best and brightest companies in the life science, advanced materials, information technology and renewable energy industries. Since it opened its doors in 1992, DTP has housed more than 75 development-stage companies that have been leading the way in science and technology innovation and driving the state’s economy. DTP is currently home to 54 companies and organizations, ranging from multinational corporations to one to two person start-up companies. DTP also houses two research institutes, the Delaware Biotechnology Institute (DBI) and the Fraunhofer Center for Molecular Biotechnology (CMB).
DSU Food Business Incubator Center (FBIC)
- Location: The Bank of America Building at DSU's Dover campus
- Website: www.desu.edu
- Services: Provides business and technical training, resources for product and process evaluation and incubation, and a trusted source for information and guidance, low-cost commercial and licensed facility that can be used by food producers. Incubator tenants time-share space according to amount of time needed while saving considerable expense over equipping their own kitchens. The kitchen is available by appointment and provides dry and cold storage, on-site assistance and access to computers, printers, fax, copier and a variety of office equipment.
Emerging Enterprise Center (EEC)
- Location: Emerging Enterprise Center, New Castle County Chamber of Commerce, 12 Penns Way, New Castle, DE 19720
- Website: http://eecincubator.com/
- Services: Offers comprehensive program of assistance to early stage firms by providing affordable office space and business services, access to all of the training and networking resources of the New Castle County Chamber of Commerce, plus on-site professional advice, mentoring and a network of professional advisors. 9,000 square feet are available to accommodate offices. Companies have a service room equipped with fax, copier, postage meter and a kitchenette with coffee service, as well as conference and event rooms.
- Location: 1007 North Orange Street, 4th Floor, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Website: http://themillspace.com/
- Services: We are a community of doers working in the center of downtown Wilmington. We work hard, player harder, and get things done. Our community ranges from programmers to lawyers, from solopreneurs to established businesses.
- Location: University of Delaware Newark, DE 19716 USA
- Website: http://www1.udel.edu/star/
- Services: Tenant space will be available at an annex for companies whose areas of business complement the mission of UD’s College of Health Sciences.
Venture Development Center (VDC)
- Location: Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics, 303 Alfred Lerner Hall Newark, DE 19716
- Website: www.lerner.udel.edu
- Services: Serves as learning laboratory and business hatchery/incubator for students who are interested in starting and growing businesses, driving innovation for established companies, and developing market-based solutions to social problems. Programs: mentorship programs, workshops, funding competitions, in-residence programs and other activities and events. Resources: meeting and coworking space, computer and printing resources, in-house media production, and an extensive network of community connections. The VDC also seeks to create connections between students, faculty, alumni, and community members who possess a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
- Location: 1313 N. Market St. Suite 1150 NW, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Website: 1313innovation.com
- Services: We offer a dynamic collaborative environment, connecting the local entrepreneurial community and universities with business leaders. We strive to connect business leaders, and universities to transform Wilmington into the epitome of innovation. 1313 Innovation will support the development of its members in their roles as business leaders mainly through local and national networking, strategic alliances and partnerships in education.
If you know of other business incubators in Delaware that are not listed here, please contact us.