Business-Friendly, Great Location, Low Costs, High Quality
CNBC’s Top States for Business survey consistently ranks Delaware as the most business-friendly state in America. Delaware is the best place for companies from around the world to make an American home. Business leaders can expect personalized attention—and very little red tape.
The Small State that Gets Things Done
Delaware is one of the smallest states in the U.S., so we can get the right people in the room and make the right connections to move your business forward. Our streamlined processes and clear expectations make it easy to get up and running quickly.
- Heart of the East Coast: Halfway between the nation’s business capital, New York City and the political capital, Washington D.C. Less than two hours by train or an easy drive on I-95.
- Access to Markets: More than 123 million consumers within a 500-mile radius. That’s 40% of the U.S. population within a few hours’ drive.
- Transportation Hub: Less than 30 minutes from Philadelphia International Airport, and easy access to airports in Newark, Baltimore, N.Y. and D.C. Convenient passenger and industrial rail. Major deep water marine terminal and the top North American port for perishable cargo.
- Proven Track Record: More than one million companies, including 63% of the Fortune 500®, are incorporated in Delaware.
- Business Minded: Responsive, accessible and transparent government officials.
- Setting the Standard: Delaware corporate law is recognized as the most advanced business statute in the U.S., effectively serving as the national corporate law. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce rates Delaware courts Number One.
- Innovative & Global: According to the Information Technology & Innovation Foundation’s 2012 State New Economy Index, Delaware ranks second overall.
Low Cost of Doing Business
- Advantageous tax structure, with no sales tax or VAT.
- Low cost of living with the lowest median property taxes in the region.
- Fiscally responsible, with an AAA bond rating.
- Room to grow, with competitively priced office and industrial space and land to build.
- Healthy, diversified economy, including advanced materials, clean energy, life sciences, manufacturing and professional services.
High Caliber Workforce
- Highly skilled, educated and productive workforce, ranked second among states for PhDs per capita and third for patents per capita (Kauffman Foundation, pg 41).
- The Kauffman Foundation ranks Delaware as the number 1 state for research and development (R&D) investment (page 42).
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine ranks the University of Delaware in the Top 25 public colleges that provide quality education at an affordable price.
- The University of Delaware’s Department of Chemical & Bio-molecular Engineering is ranked in the top ten nationwide by U.S. News and World Report.
- Delaware State University is home to the Optical Sciences Center for Applied Research (a NASA University Research Center) and the Applied Mathematics Research Center.
- Delaware’s public school system won first place in the President’s national Race to the Top education competition, and the state’s early-education plan also garnered top honors. In addition to strong public schools, Delaware is also home to excellent charter and independent schools to train tomorrow’s workforce.
Delaware has no sales tax, no VAT, and no state real property taxes. The local real property taxes are very low.
Read more about Delaware’s advantageous tax structure here.
Superior Quality of Life
Delaware is an amazing place to visit, live and work. Your employees will enjoy all of the benefits of big city life, combined with clean air, easy commutes and peaceful living.
- Family: Your employees can rest assured that their children will find a world-class education in Delaware. With museums, parks, art, theaters, and festivals and the Delaware State Fair, there’s plenty to keep your kids learning and happy.
- History: As the First State, we have a proud historical heritage. Visit the finest museums and gardens in the country—thanks to the legacy of the DuPont family. Go back in time in well-preserved Old New Castle and enjoy a pirate ride on the tall ship Kalmar Nyckel.
- Culture: Delaware has Broadway plays, ballet and opera, as well as the renowned DuPont Clifford Brown Jazz Festival. For music, don’t miss the World Café Live at The Queen or the Firefly Music Festival.
- Nature: Delaware’s beaches—in addition to their beauty—are consistently rated as the cleanest in the nation. We have pristine state parks with abundant wildlife and a statewide trail system for hiking and biking.
- Fun: When you need a break from work, try tax-free shopping, the Monster Mile at Dover International Speedway, one of our three casinos, or a relaxing afternoon at the famous Dogfish Head Brewery on Delaware’s Wine & Ale Trail.
- Community: Delaware’s size means that our community works together to support our businesses.
- Low Cost: Salaries go a lot further in Delaware. Employees can enjoy all the benefits of the East Coast lifestyle, while saving to invest in their families. Your company will have all the benefits of an East Coast location, while saving to invest and grow.
Learn more at VisitDelaware.com
How Can We Help You?
- Delaware Strategic Fund: Delaware can provide custom financial assistance in the form of low-interest loans, grants, and other creative instruments.
- Location Services: We provide a full line of services to help you identify commercial property, allowing you to meet unique requirements and execute your plans quickly, easily, and cost effectively.
- Workplace Development Center: The State of Delaware can assist you in recruiting a quality workforce. We can help companies identify training resources; you may be eligible for a Customized Training Grant.
- Compliance Services: We can introduce you to professionals and work with local officials to help you understand your compliance requirements, including obtaining necessary licenses and permits.
- Connections: Our government and community are ready to help you meet the people you need to move forward.
Ready to Get Started?
Contact the Delaware Division of Small Business
Contact Export Delaware