Business First Steps

Index of State of Delaware Business Licenses and Registrations

Construction Activity, Large Area: Agricultural, Residential, Commercial, Industrial, or Institutional

Land disturbing activities greater than 5,000 square feet of disturbance – for any commercial, residential, institutional, industrial, or utility construction including clearing, grading, excavating, transporting and filling of land – all require approval of a Sediment and Stormwater Management Plan prior to beginning the land-disturbing activity. Construction activities with disturbances of 1.0-acre or greater require NPDES Construction General Permit coverage to discharge stormwater from the construction activity.

The Sediment and Stormwater Program is charged with implementation of Delaware’s Sediment and Stormwater Law (7. Del. C. Ch. 40), and the Delaware Sediment and Stormwater Regulations. With the exception of agricultural land management practices and forestry operations, all land disturbing activities in the State of Delaware are regulated by the Sediment and Stormwater Law. The Sediment and Stormwater Program, through a series of delegated agencies throughout the state, ensures that these land disturbances are in compliance with the Sediment and Stormwater Regulations. DNREC’s Sediment and Stormwater Program provides oversight and technical guidance to delegated agencies in carrying out the responsibilities of the program. DNREC and delegated agency staff members are responsible for plan review, construction site review, and post-consturciton maintenance reviews of stormwater management BMPS within their jurisdictions. Additionally, Sediment and Stormwater program staff members conduct training sessions for “responsible personnel” to assist with compliance efforts on active construction sites and provide technical assistance to owners for maintenance to ensure practices continue to function as designed. The Sediment and Stormwater Program has been delegated by EPA the implementation authority over Delaware’s NPDES Stormwater Construction General Permit program (7. Del. C. Ch. 60) and issues construction general permit coverage upon receipt of a Notice of Intent and approval of the Sediment and Stormwater Management Plan.

More Information and

Department: DNREC

Division: Watershed Stewardship

Office: Sediment & Stormwater Program


Approved Sediment and Stormwater Management Plans remain valid for 3 years from the date of approval, unless specifically extended. The Sediment and Stormwater Management Plan approval may be extended following a written request for extension providing justification for the extension request. NPDES General Permit for Construction Activity is valid for the construction project as long as the Sediment and Stormwater Management Plan remains valid and until all termination requirements have been met and Notice of Termination form has been submitted and approved.


Sediment and Stormwater Management plan review, approval, construction review and maintenance review fees are set by the Sediment and Stormwater Program Delegated Agency responsible for the plan approval: When DNREC Sediment and Stormwater Program is the approval agency the Sediment and Stormwater Management plan fee is $80 per disturbed acre. The NOI Fee to gain NPDES Construction General Permit coverage is $195 and is submitted to DNREC for all projects regardless of approval agency.

Application Form

See website for forms and more information:

Applicable Laws

Applicable Rules and Regulations

Delaware Sediment and Stormwater Regulations:


Joanne Gedney can be contacted by email at and by phone at 302-739-9921.

Registry of Licenses Search


This search covers most of the frequently requested licenses, certifications, registrations, and filings that the State of Delaware requires. However, this is not a fully exhaustive list of every possible requirement. Please consult with the appropriate state agencies to find out if there are additional requirements you must fulfill.

Related Topics:  , , , , ,

First Steps Feedback

Let us know how we can make this page better.

If we have questions about your update, we might need to reach out to you.