Businesses: concerned about Coronavirus? Learn More logo

Business First Steps

Index of State of Delaware Business Licenses and Registrations

Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) Permit

A Confined Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) is an animal feeding operation where animals have been, are, or will be stabled or confined and fed, or maintained for a total of 45 days or more (can be non-consecutive) in any 12 month period. In addition, the confined areas do not sustain crops, vegetation, or forage growth, and post harvest residues are not sustained in the normal growing season. Only livestock and poultry operations may be CAFOs, unless otherwise designated by the Secretary of Agriculture. To obtain a permit constituents must be certified, have an Animal Waste Management Plan and submit annual reports.

More Information

Department: Agriculture and DNREC

Division: Nutrient Management


The Notice of Intent (NOI) is the application for the CAFO Permit which will be issued by DNREC for a period of five (5) years



Applicable Laws

Applicable Rules and Regulations

Department of Agriculture:
and   Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control:


Larry Towle can be contacted by email at and by phone at 302-698-4555.


This search covers most of the frequently requested licenses, certifications, registrations, and filings that the State of Delaware requires. However, this is not a fully exhaustive list of every possible requirement. Please consult with the appropriate state agencies to find out if there are additional requirements you must fulfill.

Related Topics:  , , , , , ,

First Steps Feedback

Let us know how we can make this page better.

If we have questions about your update, we might need to reach out to you.